How to write a check
Definition of a check
A check is a legal document that allows the owner of check to give financial institution which holds money the order to pay the payee the amount of money that the owner of check has designated.
7 steps to write a check
- Write today's date. The date should be current, because check must be cashed in a period of time, usually 180 days or specified by issuer or banks.
- Fill out the pay to line. Spell payee's name correctly, don't use abbreviated name(e.g. FB for Facebook) without permission from payee or your bank.
- Write the exact amount you'd like to pay in number with decimal part.
- Write the exact amount you'd like to pay in words.
- Add a note on check for personal reference, sometimes requested by payee(write your phone number as note for a check to pay phone bill).
- Review all other parts of information and make sure all are good, then sign your name.
- Mail or hand over your check.
Basic of personal/business check
Personal or business check contains two parts. One is pre-printed information. Another is what needs you to fill out.
Parts of pre-printed:
- The account owner's personal information, including name and/or address
- Your bank’s name, logo, and branch contact information
- Your bank’s routing number. The routing number will be used to identify the bank branch when doing clearance.
- Your account number. This is your account number in the bank. It is printed following ABA number.
- Check number of your check book. A reference for yourself to keep track your checks.
- Your bank’s American Bankers Association (ABA) number.
Parts that will be filled out by you:
List of some numbers with their English names
|101||One hundred [and] one|
|110||One hundred [and] ten|
|111||One hundred [and] eleven|
|120||One hundred [and] twenty|
|121||One hundred [and] twenty-one|
|144||One hundred [and] forty-four|
|666||Six hundred [and] sixty-six|
|777||Seven hundred [and] seventy-seven|
|1,001||One thousand [and] one|
|1,010||One thousand [and] ten|
|1,011||One thousand [and] eleven|
|1,024||One thousand [and] twenty-four|
|1,100||One thousand one hundred|
|1,101||One thousand one hundred [and] one|
|1,728||One thousand seven hundred [and] twenty-eight|
|100,000||One hundred thousand|
|500,000||Five hundred thousand|
|1,048,576||One million forty-eight thousand five hundred [and] seventy-six|
|100,000,000||One hundred million|